Five Toxic Spring Plants and Flowers to Keep Away from Your Pets
Who doesn't love Spring? After enduring a cold Winter season, the sight of flowers blooming and plants flourishing to mark the beginning of Spring is a welcoming sight.
But before you get too giddy about this time of the year, you should also ensure that your pets are ready for the season by keeping them away from these five toxic spring plants and flowers:
Daffodils are some of the most beautiful flowers that symbolize Spring. They're also a favorite among many homeowners because they're easy to grow and can add a splash of color to even the simplest garden. But having Daffodils at home is not advised for those who have dogs or cats because ingesting the flowers can make your pet vomit, feel dizzy and experience an upset stomach.
Bluebells are another fantastic variety of flowers that are perfect for your spring garden because of their bright blue colors. But if you have pets at home or if you like to take your dog on a walk in parks that have flowers, try to avoid letting them near Bluebells because they can cause diarrhea, disorientation, vomiting, and lethargy because of their glycoside content.
Lilies are some of the most popular flowers for Spring because of their bright colors. But some varieties of lilies, especially Easter, Red, Tiger, Day, and Stargazer Lilies, are highly toxic to cats. They can cause various symptoms, including vomiting, diarrhea, and even seizures. Some reports even suggest that even water from the vase of lilies and their leaves and stems may result in kidney failure in cats.
Azaleas are stunning, especially when they're in full bloom in the middle of Spring. But they're not as pleasant to dogs since studies have shown that they can cause vomiting, nausea, and difficulty breathing if ingested.
Who doesn't love having tulips in their living or dining room during Spring? Tulips are some of the best-selling flowers during Spring, and many people also choose to plant them in their gardens. But did you know that tulips are highly toxic to dogs?
This is because of a toxin that can cause irritation to the mouth and gastrointestinal tract of dogs leading to vomiting, drooling, and diarrhea. If you want to grow tulips in your garden, make sure they are in an area your dogs can't access.
Make sure your pets are safe this Spring!
Spring is the best time to enjoy plants and flowers in full bloom. But if you're a pet parent, you need to be extra careful in exposing your pets to plants and flowers, especially since some common ones can cause health issues to them. If exposed for a prolonged time or ingested, these common plants can even cause your pets to pass away.
Make sure that if your pet has been exposed to these toxic plants that you bring them to a trusted veterinarian in Staten Island right away for proper assessment and treatment. Check out our services and visit Staten Island Veterinary Group to ensure your pets' health and happiness. Contact us if you need more information or have any questions!